Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Devotional


 By: Kathryn Cartledge(click here for original post)
 
" I lift up my eyes to the hills - from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
-- Psalm 121:1-8 
 
This Psalm was written to be sung and clearly it speaks of God always watching over us.  God is awake and neither slumbers or sleeps!

The last two verses are a powerful benediction:  "The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.  The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forever".

Sitting in my living room I am literally surrounded by mountains.  Most every day when I see them, I see beauty.  I see the oldest mountains in the country and I am filled with awe and gratitude.  I seek their wisdom and energy and I feel secure in their embrace.

Other days though - I must admit that I lift up my eyes to the hills and I can only see what I fear.  I see dark and ominous things.  My eyelids are heavy with a sense of insecurity and need.  My eyes are held down with self doubt and helplessness.  On these days, it is obvious that I have rolled down the hill into a shallow place.

From where will my help come?

I wish, on these days, that I could stand right up, brush myself off and sing aloud, "My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth".

Just so you know it's not because I can't sing that I don't do this....it is because I forget all about God and look to every one and to everything else.


Prayer: God, I am so glad that you are awake!  You are watching as I stumble and roll around in my own mental mess. I pray that I use my mind and heart to remember all of the ways that you are present in my life and that I can hold onto the assurance that you have my back, coming and going, forever, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment